I love pickling and pickle all throughout the year. I love sea food pickles be it squid, clam, prawns or fish. This is my standard recipe for sea food pickles.
Time: 60 minutes.
- Prawns 3 Kilograms
- Garlic 250 Grams
- Ginger 200 Grams
- Mustard seeds 50 Grams
- Curry leaves Stalk 4
- Chilli powder 5 Tablespoons
- Kashmiri Chilli powder 7 Tablespoons
- Turmeric powder 2 Tablespoons
- Fenugreek powder 1 Tablespoon
- Garam Masala powder 2 Tablespoons
- Salt To Taste Vinegar 200 Millilitres
- Gingelly oil 1 Litre Steps
- De-vein and clean the prawns.Marinate the prawns with turmeric and chilli powder. Set aside for 30 minutes. In a wok heat half litre of the oil and fry the prawns after 30 minutes. I deep fry the prawns so that they stay longer.
- Once the prawns are fried. Fry the garlic and ginger in the same oil and drain them onto a plate with napkin so the oil can be soaked. Add the remaining oil and heat well before we start the pickle making.
- Once the oil is heated add the mustard seeds and let them crackle. Into the oil now add curry leaves fry them for a minute or two. Now add the spice powders one by one and keep stirring. Reduce the flame to simmer and add the fried ginger, garlic and prawns.
- Stir the pickle for a while and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Add the vinegar and salt now. If the oil stands above the pickle you don’t have to add extra oil but if not heat some oil in a separate pot and pour it onto the bottles after filling up the pickle.
- This is to prevent moulds and fungus. And your pickle is now ready to be taken off the flame. Cool it before bottling them. They can stay upto a year if stored in the refrigerator. I have stored them outside for 3 months.