Try these Benne Wafer Cookies (Sesame Seed Cookies) have been a southern favorite for over a hundred years. You will find these delicious Benne Wafers in candy shops and stands throughout the Low Country (the coastal area around Charleston, SC) of the South. These delicate cookies are light, crisp, and paper thin with a delightful nutty taste. You have to be careful, because we are very addictive!
- brown sugar/jaggery ½ cup
- Refined flour (maida) ¼ cup
- White sesame seeds toasted 3 tablespoons
- Butter 3 tablespoons
- Egg beaten ½
- Salt a pinch
- Baking powder a pinch
- Vanilla essence ½ teaspoon
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with a silicon sheet.
- Cream together the brown sugar and butter in a bowl using an electric beater till light. Add the egg and whisk well.
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder into the butter-sugar mixture and fold well.
- Add the vanilla essence and sesame seeds and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into small equal portions and place on the lined tray. Put the tray in the preheated oven and bake for ten to twelve minutes. Remove from oven and cool
- Serve or store in an air-tight container.