A modak is a sweet dumpling popular in Maharashtra and is usually made during the auspicious festival of Ganesh Chaturthi.
Time: 50 minutes
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 dash powdered green cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered jaggery
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- To prepare this delicious modak recipe, take a pan and add grated coconut in it. Dry roast the coconut and
- keep it aside. Now take another pan and add 1 cup water in it. Bring it to a boil. Then add jaggery and allow it
- to dissolve. When the jaggery mixture starts to thicken, add the roasted coconut.
- Mix well and bring the flame to medium-high. Then add cardamom powder and stir well. After few seconds,
- turn off the flame, remove and keep the mixture aside. Now to prepare the dough, add rice flour in a bowl and
- add 1 cup of hot water in it. Add sesame oil and salt.
- Stir the mixture well and make sure it is free of lumps. The dough should not be too tight. Now, take a portion
- of the dough and with the help of a rolling pin, shape them into small cups. Add a spoonful of the coconut-
- jaggery filling and close the edges of the dough using your hands. Cover and then steam cook the modaks
- until done. Once done, transfer these little delights in a serving plate.